this site is in very early stages (awaiting contributions from sleuths like
Hunt down problem packages that
might be the source of your Newton's errors and hangs
Ever install packages only to later find
errors and hangs emerge in your system. Only.... you aren't sure which packages
These pages are intended to help you
track down the culprits more easily and freeze/remove them. The pages are
built on the experiences of others.
If you have successfully hunted down
the source of problems on your Newton, please let us know.
Good Newt Hunting...
Locate the entries for the error or symptom you have experienced.
If present, it will be briefly summarised according to -
A brief summary of the circumstances associated with the error
Fix: A brief
description of how the problem is fixed (if known)
Why: A brief
explanation of why the problem occurs (if known/suspected)
- Certainty: An estimate of how
sure the error reporter is that the package was responsible
If you are lucky, the fix will work...
If others are lucky, you will fix the problem and submit an
-8000 to -18 000s
- -20 000 to -28 000s
- -30 000 to -38 000s
- -40 000
to -48 000s
- -50 000 to -58 000s
- Light hangs (reset recovers)
- Deep Hangs (20 sec reset required)
- Power hang (power removal required)
- Super hang (power removal required for
a longer time)
- Amnesia (brain wipe required)
- Screen weirdness
- Beeps and screen weirdness
||Finding and fixing problems
To work out where the problems come from, or how to fix them? Try using these
- Bugtrap - reports the source of an error
- Freeze/thaw packages to disable/enable
them - check the lists (above) for likely suspects.
- Move suspect groups of extensions and packages to cards,
then try running the Newton without the card installed
- Trashpak - A package to clear/edit slots
and soups (beware!)
your experiences (check the lists above first), written in the style shown in
the lists. Include:
- Error number
- Package, and version number
- Description - such as when (e.g.
on loading, closing, or other distinguishable attribute) and how often it
occurs (e.g. always, occasionally, often)
- Fix - how is the problem fixed
- Why - the cause of the problem
(briefly), if you know it
- Certainty - How certain you feel
about the package being the cause of the problem